Friday, November 7, 2008

The Party's Over, Assessing the Future...

I've been trying to decide how I feel about all of this, I'm a liberal white person who is not as overwhelmed as many African American people are, but much more impacted than the average American that pays less attention to politics.

I think the best way to describe how I feel about Obama's election is that two weights have been lifted. One of them grew heavier as this current campaign dragged on and thoughts of a McCain and possibly Palin administration swirled in my head like a virus that evidentially was on many people's minds.

The other weight I was not completely aware of until it was lifted, then I realized that it had been there for much of the past eight years. Four years ago I thought Kerry was a terrible candidate, but I could also not imagine a Bush re-election, but it happened.

It feels like this vale of tears has been renewed. Literally the air smells better, sunlight feels warmer and I even feel like I have more energy. I can only imagine how good I would feel all the time if I could IGNORE politics, but I doubt that will happen.

I've got to emphasize, I was voting AGAINST more than FOR. I think McCain would lead us into another war and Palin is a half-wit fool who could possibly replace him, and that for me is the definition of being up shit creek without a paddle. No, I feel like I am in a nation of adults again, even if Obama can't bring about big "change," we elected a man with a brain for Gods sake and we did so for the right reasons, not because we were distracted by fear and loathing.

Obama Until 2012 or 2016?

I suspect Obama will be a 1-term president unfortunately. This economic mess is severe and when it gets worse under his watch the Republicans will be back in two years and then another four to blame a government controlled entirely by the Democrats. Combine that with a backlash that will come from an Obama term regardless what he does, and you likely see a Republican back in the white house.[1]

I guess what I am trying to say is that, if there were a GOOD time to be OUT of office and power, this would be it. I have to think that this train wreck wasn't entirely accidental; Republicans say government is inefficient and they ensure it is true while they are in power. This all assumes that Obama doesn't come in and just totally turn the economy around, I don't think it's totally under his or anyone else's control.

It's too far off to project much, but while the GOP does have problems adjusting it's ideals to a changing electorate and a new generation who has helped to put Obama into office, to count them out would be foolish. As Obama said, they may not know how to govern, but they know how to win elections.

Palin, Poor Palin...

A quick note on Palin, I find all of this Republican infighting incredibly entertaining of course, but I am still trying to understand what it's all about. Perhaps the aides from McCain's camp are really just pissed off and hate her. Keith Olbermann brought up the point that the Republicans are the ones that called her a "Wasilla hillbilly" (what an elitist thing to say!) and that perhaps Palin was the real deal "average American" and while they speak of being a party for that group this behavior toward Palin suggests they really are a party that just wants that as a facade.

---------------------
FOOTNOTES
1. I would like to send readers to the following link: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gHIVt7MERGIbR6SEMaTMPoeCiuiwD94AB9280, since Obama whipped McCain gun sales have risen dramatically, a perfect example of the white, scared, knee-jerk reaction.

No comments: